A. PROGRAMME RELATED
1. What is OPS-English?
· An initiative in the 1Agenda KPM which consists of 100 top initiatives
· OPS-English is ranked 35 amongst the top 100 initiatives
· This initiative is stated in the Pelan Pembangunan Pendidikan Malaysia (PPPM) which was launched by PM in September 2012. (4-11: PengukuhanPengajaranB. Ing) – Wave 1 (2013 – 2015)Provide the Xeroxed cover pg& relevant pg.
· OPS-English is aimed at developing the students’ oral and aural skills
2. What is the purpose of this programme?
· The purpose is to impact the upcoming English language curriculum (KSSM) which will in introduced in 2017
· Integration of OPS-English into the KSSM (greater emphasis on listening and speaking)
3. What are the objectives of OPS-English?
· To listen to and understand spoken English
· To build students’ confidence in speaking English
4. Why is my school chosen?
· OPS-English programme will be rolled out to all schools in Bands 3- 6 (in stages)
· There are approximately 2,044 schools in bands 3- 6
(data given by EPRD
as of June 2012)
as of June 2012)
5. Can I ask my students to do some writing?
· OPS-English focuses on integrated listening and speaking skills; reading and writing skills are incidental
· The T & L process must be fully focused on OPS-English
· Reading and writing are encouraged in different ways i.e. journaling, personal responses, gathering information for individual and group work by reading materials in the library and internet. (These inter-related activities must be done apart from the OPS-English lessons.)
· Lessons in the classroom must be focused on using the OPS-English concept to build students foundation in the listening and speaking skills- 100% -OPS teaching.
6. How do I cater for better students?
· The activities in the Teacher’s Companion serve as guidelines for teachers.
· Teachers are encouraged to adapt, adopt and innovate the tasks for better students. (using the stimulus provided)
7. How do I get my very weak students to speak?
· The teacher’s role is vital – model the language, use the Audio-video DVD to expose students to vocabulary – trigger words are given along with pictures to help students to acquire the basics of language learning
· Go at the students’ pace. Repeat a lesson if necessary.
· Use teacher talk and effective questioning techniques in the language classroom – refer to the training notes given during the training sessions.
B. SET SYSTEM
1. What is the Set System?
Structure whereby placing the Ss level of proficiency which is after taking the diagnostic test. Normal P&P. Set system is under the perusal of CDD
2. What do we do when we don’t have enough teachers?
· Contact BPSH
· OPS still can be conducted
3. How do we carry out OPS-English in large classes? (With set system, the enrolment for Average English Proficiency (AEP) students is bigger)
· Effective group work
· Tap on the good students
· Training notes
· Cooperative learning
C. SCHOOL-BASED ASSESSMENT
1. What is SBA?
It is a Formative Test under the perusal of LP
2. How do I carry out SBA in the OPS-English programme?
Follow the guidelines stipulated in the OPS-English TH.
3. How do I assess the students?
· During OPS except for the three descriptors
· During individual &groupwork
· Give input from Pg 1-3 and then may begin to access
4. How do I keep evidence for SBA?
· Find out what has the school determine for filing.
· Ask them for their existing system in school.
1. My school does not have enough TV or LCDs. How do I carry out the activity for page 2 of each unit?
· Pg. 2 is a talking page. Teacher can model the pronunciation of vocabulary.
· Allow the weaker classes to use the audio.
· Teachers can use TV, CD player, Notebook and Ipad.
· Lack of TVs –propose to PIBG.
- Make sure teachers provide wait time
- Be tech savy and use technology to it’s advantage
- Build confidence
- Facilitate and pay attention
- Fun learning and non- threatening
- Allow room for mistake
- Why not in primary schools because KSSR has taken precedence and there are many other related programmes for Eng in the primary schs.
- Towards the realisation of KSSM.
- OPS-English books will be manage by Panitia dibawah seliaan SPBT.
- Surat Edaran will be sent in March tentatively.